Did you know that there are over 50,000 electrical fires in homes across America each year? Nearly all of these can be prevented with regular electrical inspections and eliminating common hazards in your home. Even a house that has passed an electrical inspection can still be at risk if you are improperly using outlets, power strips, or extension cords.

Medford Wellington offers commercial and residential electrician services to residents of Massachusetts and New Hampshire. Get in touch with us today for all of your electrical services needs, from installing ceiling fans to calling us any day, anytime as your emergency electrician.

When Was Your Last Electrical Inspection? Schedule One Today!

Common Electrical Safety Hazards

Sometimes electrical hazards are hidden in the walls and a certified electrician will need to come out and perform an inspection, but other hazards are easy to fix yourself. Here are just a few of those:

  • Damaged, Frayed Cords and Chargers: We know you don’t want to drop forty bucks on a new MacBook charger, but using a frayed, broken, or damaged charger or cord for your appliances can cause much more than $40 in damage.
  • Leaving Your Hair Dryer Plugged In: If you use your hairdryer, curling iron, or hair straightener every day, you most likely keep it plugged in – and hopefully turned off – on the bathroom counter because it’s convenient. But this can be a huge hazard if water from the shower or sink splashes on it.
  • Overloaded Power Strips: Your outlet is designed to handle a certain amount of electricity. If you plug in two power strips in an outlet, and then plug three or four appliances into each power strip, it can overload that outlet and cause a fire.
  • Children And Pets: Children and pets are curious and have little fingers and paws, all of which spells disaster when outlets are left exposed. Use plastic covers and other tamper-resistant outlet accessories to keep them safe.
  • Ignoring Circuit Breaker Trips: If your toaster, clothes dryer, microwave, or other appliance trips the circuit breaker, overheats, or does anything else suspicious, there is most likely a reason for it that your electrician can diagnose and fix.

How To Put Out An Electrical Fire

As we’re sure you know by now, water and electricity don’t mix. Or perhaps, maybe they mix a little too well! If you see a fire, your first thought is probably, “Water puts out fire, I should pour water on this.” However, even if it puts out the flames, it can badly shock you as it does not stop the source of the fire – the electricity.

So how do you actually put out an electrical fire? You have two main options. For small fires, such as a smoking and sparking power strip, you can pour baking soda on it. Baking soda is the main ingredient in a Class C fire extinguisher and should work nicely to put out a small fire. For larger electrical fires, use a Class C fire extinguisher. If you have a fire extinguisher in your home, go check it right now to see if it is a Class A, B, or C, or multipurpose (labeled ABC).

If you cannot put out the fire, evacuate the house immediately and call 911. If you do put out the flames, immediately turn off your circuit breaker and call your electrician to come inspect for problems. If you still smell smoke or are concerned about more issues, call 911 as a precaution.

Call Medford Wellington For An Electrical Inspection

Keep your family, pets, and property safe by getting in touch with us today to find and fix any dangerous electrical issues. Call your Medford Wellington electrician today!